Data is the lifeline for almost every organization. It helps you make informed decisions and set your business on the right track. This is why companies invest in a comprehensive data management solution to ensure every byte of their information is stored and managed carefully.
However, the plethora of storage options on the market makes it all the more difficult for companies to choose the right tool. Often, they either pick a solution that doesn't fit their team dynamics or spend too much on multiple storage tools to cater to the various needs of their teams.
This is where the solution becomes the problem. Choosing the wrong tool can negatively impact your business and it undermines the whole purpose of implementing technology in the first place.
So, here are five essential elements that you need to look out for in a file management tool before making your decision.
1) The first is collaboration. It's crucial to choose a storage solution that facilitates teamwork without obstructing the existing workflow between your employees. The tool should offer a shared space where members can store, collaborate, and manage their files without any security concerns. When it comes to a team, each member plays a different role.
You need to be able to set granular level permissions to ensure you have complete control over your data. Check if the tool offers extensive capabilities to let you manage both your team and their files efficiently.
2) The second element to look out for in a data management solution is accessibility. With more and more companies working remotely, employees must have constant access to the files they need to get work done. However, working remotely can mean restricted internet access or working on the go. When considering a storage provider, check if it offers apps for your desktop and mobile that helps your team stay connected with their files.
3) The third element is security, which is a fundamental requirement when it comes to choosing your data management tool. Information is a significant asset to any company, and exposing or losing it can bring a business down overnight.
You need to pick a solution that offers multi-layered enterprise-level security at the physical, logical, and data levels. From using a secure data center to complying with industry standards for encryption, any storage solution you consider must offer end-to-end safety to all your digital assets.
4) The next component is scalability. Businesses tend to change rapidly, and a solution that's ideal now may be outgrown in a year. To avoid this, you should go for a cloud storage platform versatile enough to accommodate the growing needs of both your team and their data.
5) And the last key element is interoperability. Any collaboration tool should be capable enough to communicate with and streamline the information flow among all your business applications. There are file management tools that integrate with multiple other apps—including CRM, email, and project management—to ensure data created across these applications is stored under a single roof.This helps to break down information silos within your company and enables cross-departmental collaboration.
Every organization has different storage needs. However, reviewing your choice of tools with these important elements in mind will help you determine a comprehensive file management solution that perfectly fits your business in the long run.